Oct 28, 2020 So is Microsoft Word for Mac free? But you can get a lot of the same features from MS Word online, sign up for the Microsoft Word free trial, take a look at Google Docs or LibreOffice Writer, and use Microsoft Word free on iPad. Even better, give a wealth of more specialized apps a try. Mac users can download Office 2011 on their computers using their subscriptions. Microsoft Office 365 does not support Windows XP, Windows Vista or earlier versions of Mac OS X. Users running these operating systems can get Microsoft Word through older versions of Office such as Office 2007 or 2003. The trusted app for Word documents. Microsoft Word, one of the most popular programs to create, view, edit, share, and manage Word documents, is available for your Mac device. With a simple and clean interface, the program lets you manage everything easily and quickly. Whether you’re a student, journalist, blogger, columnist, writer,. MS word document on Mac is locked. How do I unlock a word document on MAC that states: “ This document has certain edit capabilites that have been locked” How do I get this document unlocked?! This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
Mac OS attracts to a lot of people around the world. Noticing this, developers of different apps decide to provide a Mac version. Microsoft Word is one of them; there is Microsoft Office for Mac to help users deal with text information, spreadsheet, pictures, and other types of data easily. But how do you retrieve lost Word files on Mac when they disappear suddenly?
Quick Navigation :
How do I recover Word document on Mac?
Many netizens have sought advice online to get some detailed and excellent solutions to retrieve lost Word files on Mac. Let's go into this topic deeply; please follow the exhaustive suggestions given by MiniTool Solution.
Part 1: How to Retrieve Lost Word Files on Mac
Microsoft Word is one of Hot Apps on whatever kind of operating system, such as Windows, Mac, Lunix… Sometimes when you are composing a novel or making an urgent report or project for your company, the computer shuts down suddenly without saving the document or you have saved it but deleted it accidently… These accidents may make you overwhelming.
Although Word files and Mac OS are applied widely, lots of factors can lead to files loss on Mac. Hence, retrieving lost Word files on Mac is a popular topic online. Here we will respectively show you some solutions for different situations to recover deleted Word files on Mac, recover unsaved Word files on Mac and, recover damaged/corrupt Word files on Mac. The Stellar Data Recovery is a good free data recovery utility for you.
Word For Macos
Yet, if you'd like to recover deleted/lost/unsaved Word document on Windows, please make use of another program developed by MiniTool Solution Ltd. – MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
Recover Deleted Word Files on Mac
Situation 1: the deleted Word files are still in Trash.
Follow the 3 methods below to get back the Word files from Mac Trash.
- Go to Trash and right click on the target Word file(s), and then choose Put Back from the drop-down menu.
- If you delete your Word files mistakenly, stop any operation and use Command + Z to undo the previous step, thus your deleted word files will come back to the original position right now.
Click on a target Word file if you just want to recover a single one; press Command button and choose the target files one by one if you want to recover multiple ones. Then drag them (it) out of the Trash Can to any wanted location.
Situation 2: the Word files are emptied from Trash.
You may think it's so easy to get back the data you deleted by mistake from Trash on Mac almost like Windows. But if the Trash is emptied and your needed Word files vanish, you can't find the operands at all and let alone get them back by the build-in function of Mac OS! At this time, you need the powerful third-party utility – Stellar Data Recovery – to recover these flies disappeared from Trash.
The Stellar Data Recovery is a professional data recovery tool. Its easy-to-use and safe; the features are popular with both computer masters and novices. Let' see the amazing process of recovery.
Step 1: download Stellar Data Recovery for free. Install it by following the instructions and then launch it to see the main window.
Step 2: enable Recover Everything by toggling the switch to ON or keep it OFF & specify the certain file types you need. Click Next.
Step 3: select the drive that includes the deleted Word files. Then, click on the Scan button.
Step 4: tick the Word files you want and click on the Recover button. Then, you can click on the Browse button to decide where the files should be recovered to. After that, click Save and wait.
Recover Damaged/Corrupt Word Files on Mac
Damaged/corrupt Word file means you cannot open it or you can open it but the text becomes garbage characters…Once click on the file to open, a pop-up error box will tell you such type of reminder: 'Word was unable to read this document. It maybe corrupt… the file is corrupt and cannot be opened' etc. There is also another symptom, for instance, the computer that stops responding when you open your Word document.
Recover with Microsoft Word:
How to deal with this sort of predicament? Just calm down, you can try the Mac build-in Recover Text from Any File converter to manually open and repair the damaged/corrupt Word documents. It only needs several simple steps.
- Click Open from the File tab.
- Click on the triangle icon from All files drop-down list to select Recover Text from Any File.
- Locate the target Word files and choose them from the window.
- Click on the Open button.
Recover with Stellar Data Recovery:
There is a special situation that if the word files get lost because of damaged partition. In this case, you can use Stellar Data Recovery to recover data from the logically damaged, formatted and RAW partitions. Following is the guide to solve it.
Step 1: also, you need to download, install, and launch the Mac data recovery software. (Click here to purchase a license.)
Step 2: choose the file types you need; the toggle under Documents should be switched to ON. Click Next.
Step 3: specify the damaged drive that keeps the Word files. Enable Deep Scan and then click on the Scan button.
Step 4: wait for the scan, browse the scan results, and check Word documents to recover under guidance.
Recover Unsaved Word Files on Mac
Sometimes, you have done most of the document work, and the computer shuts off suddenly or you close it accidently without saving it or some else problems happen at that time. All your effort will be nothing! Recreate it or recover it? Of course, recovery is the best choice! Don't panic! Try the methods below to recover unsaved Word files on Mac.
Of course, Microsoft Word for Mac offers recovery solutions. Here, we just show two common fixes to recover unsaved Word files on Mac.
Fix 1: set AutoRecover interval.
- Open the Word document on Mac.
- Click Word in the menu bar then select Preferences from the drop-down list.
- Now you come to the Word preferences windows. Choose Save in the Output and Sharing section.
- Find the Save AutoRecover info every * minutes option in the Save prompt window.
- Set the auto-save time interval depending on your own habit.
Fix 2: recover from Temporary Folder.
- Open the Finder and then search terminal.
- Enter open $TMPDIR.
- Open the Temporaryitems
- Open the WordWorkfiles folder with text edit application, you may find your lost Word documents.
Remember the methods to recover unsaved Word files on Mac, thus you don't need to recreate Word documents.
Part 2: Reasons for Word Files Loss on Mac and How to Avoid It
Now that Mac and Microsoft Word play important roles in people's daily life, you need to know what factors lead to the bad experience as well as how to avoid this from happening to get less Word files loss stress.
Reasons of Word Files Loss
- Mistaken deletion
- Disk format
- Virus attack
- Unexpected system halted
- Sudden or improper shutdown
- Cluttered operating system
- Close Word files without saving
Here we are not going to go through anymore because there are so many reasons to cause Word files loss and even some weird factors also bring about it.
Preventive Measures to Avoid Word Files Loss
1. For deleted Word files:
- You should check the Word files you are going to remove carefully every time, thus you can think twice before deleting them.
- If you would like to empty Trash, you need to check the whole Trash can to see if some files are still useful.
- The combination button (Option + Shift + Command + Delete) on Mac means emptying Trash can without a confirmation dialog. So you must be careful in case of the wrong empting operation in Trash can.
These suggestions not only go for Word files but also for all types of deleted files on Mac terminal.
2. For damaged/corrupt Word files:
- If you are creating a very important Word document, you should not open unnecessary windows, files or applications in case of system crash.
- Although Mac OS is security and don not need anti-virus software, install one if indeed necessary.
- Regularly clear off the data that you don't need any more in order to make your computer perform smoothly.
- You'd better not download some weird or untrusted software because some malware will cause all kinds of troubles.
- Back up or duplicate your finished Word files so that you can use it after one of them gets damaged/corrupted.
The work to recover corrupted files can be either difficult or easy. The main point is whether you've got effective way and tool when starting that work.
Microsoft Word Mac Os X
3. For unsaved Word files:
- Keep a good behavior to press Command + S combination key or click on Save in the drop-down menu of File tab regularly, which can save your current document from time to time.
- You'd better not open up too many unnecessary Word file(s). That may make your brain in a mess so that you may close your unsaved creating document by mistake.
- Here, we highly recommend the most efficient solution to save your Word files automatically. It's the AutoSave function which exists in lots of computer applications or programs. This amazing function can save your opening documents automatically to reduce file loss risk.
At this point, we suggest understanding keyboard shortcuts about all kinds of delete to avoid deleting your Word files mistakenly because the Mac keyboard is much different from that of Windows.
Part 3: Significance of Word Files and Mac OS
Microsoft Office for Mac is necessary to office staff, especially the Word text document is most commonly used for storing business data and personal information, learning materials etc. As it not only can be edited with text and photos but also can produce forms. It even includes some basic functions of Excel and PowerPoint. If your important Word files get lost, all kinds of troubles will be around you and cause an unwanted loss in your work and life.
Mac operating system (Mac OS) is more and more popular with users for its advantages and benefits. Following are some of the highlights for the strengths of Mac OS:
- Stability: Mac has fewer bugs and less update than Windows. Moreover, it doesn't need to patch often, unlike Windows.
- Security: Mac has a two-layered system and applies the Unix core which is famous for security features. The built-in firewall works in an unobtrusive place and is highly configurable.
- Ease of use: Software operations are in a uniform style and easy to use.
- Powerful disk function: Users don't need to defrag drives because there is no disk fragmentation. Besides, there is no need to manage partitions. And seldom crashes.
Mac has many other advantages and here we are not going to list all of them. You can search them online if you want to do a further study. Although Microsoft Word files and Mac OS have great significance, you can't avoid all the malfunctions. For example, the Word files get lost on Mac. Lots of users may have suffered from this sort of embarrassing situation. Therefore, it's wise to master the reasons of Word files loss and take preventive measures to avoid this from occurring.
Part 4 - Conclusion
This long article has told you some knowledge about lost Word files on Mac in detail. The first part showed distinctive methods to retrieve lost Word files on Mac with ease in different situations; the second part stated why the lost Word files problem occurs and how to avoid Word files getting lost; the third part described that the Word files and Mac OS are indispensable in today's computer field as well as in people's daily life and work.
The Stellar Data Recovery from MiniTool is a data recovery application which offers powerful modules to help recover lost, deleted, formatted, or corrupted files & folders from Mac. Even the data on dead MacBook can be retrieved! It's a 'Gospel' for Mac users when the data get lost.
Retrieve Lost Word Files on Mac FAQ
- Click on the File tab in the upper left corner of an opening Word document.
- Look for the Manage Document area in the right panel and then click it.
- Choose Recover Unsaved Documents from the drop-down menu of it.
- Select a Word document you want to recover from the available documents list.
- Click on the Open button at the bottom right of the dialog box.
- Click on the Save As button appears now to recover the lost document.
You can go to check the default location of AutoRecover files by following steps.
- Select Applications and look at the column next to it.
- Select Utilities and look at the column next to it.
- Select Terminal. Then, type defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles true & hit Return.
- Click Finder and press Return.
- Type /Users/username/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Excel/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery & click Go.
- Now, the AutoRecovery folder of Excel will be opened.
- Open a new Excel on Mac 2019.
- Click on the File tab in the upper left corner.
- Choose Open from the left sidebar.
- Select Recent option from the top-left corner.
- Find the Recover Unsaved Workbooks button at the bottom and click on it.
- Choose the unsaved Workbooks you need and click Open.
- Click on the Save As button to recover it.
Microsoft Office is used widely during daily work, but problems may occur while you're using it. Microsoft Office won’t open (Word won't open, Excel won't open, PowerPoint won't open) is a common issue that many users have ever met. MiniTool summarizes some useful solutions for you to fix
Quick Navigation :
My Microsoft Word Won't Open
Have ever met the Microsoft Word won’t open problem? It has been proved to occur on many people’s computers (running Windows operating systems or macOS). If you search online, you’ll find many users said that their Microsoft Word will not open by double-clicking or any other ways they use usually to try to open a Word document.
How to fix it when your Microsoft Word stopped working suddenly?
There are many users saying they have encountered the Microsoft Word has stopped working error and they want to know the methods for fixing it.
Common Error Messages for Microsoft Word Not Opening
Why won't Microsoft Word open? To be honest, there are a lot of reasons for causing it. Therefore, users will receive different error messages when they find Word not opening.
Error message 1:
Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
* Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.
* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.
Error message 2:
Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt.
Try one or more of the following:
* Open and Repair the file.
* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.
Error message 3:
Sorry, something went wrong and Word was unable to start. (6)
The error code at the end may change.
Error message 4:
We’re sorry. We can’t open Normal.dotm because we found a problem with its contents.
Error message 5:
Word cannot open the existing file. (Normal.dotm)
Error message 6:
There is not enough memory or disk space to run Word.
Error message 7:
Word couldn’t start last time. Safe mode could help you troubleshoot the problem, but some features might not be available in this mode.
Do you want to start in safe mode?
Sometimes, you may even receive this message asking you to start Word in safe mode to troubleshoot the problem. On this occasion, you’d better click on the Yes button to let it open your Word in safe mode and then repair errors for you automatically.
Error message 8:
Something went wrong
We couldn’t start your program. Please try starting it again.
If it won’t start, try repairing Office from ‘Programs and Features’ in the Control Panel.
Error message 9:
Word Document Won’t Open in the Program You Expect
Also, you may see many other error messages when you can't open Microsoft Word.
How to Fix Microsoft Word Won't Open Windows 10 (15 Ways)
In this part, we’ll provide some solutions to help when you can't open Word document Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7. They are also useful for Microsoft Office won't open (Excel won't open and PowerPoint won't open).
- Fix 1 ~ 5 are available if you can still start the Microsoft Word program when certain Word documents can’t be opened.
- Fix 6 ~ 11 are useful when you can’t even open Word or Microsoft Office.
- You should also give a shot to fix 12 ~ 15 when the above methods failed.
#1. Disable Word Add-Ins
Disable suspect Add-ins:
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Click File from the menu bar.
- Choose Options from its submenu.
- Select Add-ins from the left pane of the Power Options window.
- Disable all the suspect add-ins.
- Click OK to confirm.
Also, you can follow this tutorial to disable all Add-ins:
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Click File.
- Choose Options.
- Select Trust Center from the left pane.
- Click on the Trust Center Settings button in the right pane.
- Shift to Add-ins in the left pane of the Trust Center window.
- Check Disable all Application Add-ins (may impair functionality).
- Click OK.
#2. Open and Repair in Word
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Select File from the menu bar.
- Choose Open from the submenu.
- Browse your drives and folders to select the target Word document that can’t open.
- Click on the down arrow next to the Open button in the pop-up Open window.
- Select Open and Repair from the drop-down list.
#3. Save the Document as Another Format
- Start the Word program.
- Select File from the menu bar.
- Choose Open.
- Browse your device to select the Word file that can’t start.
- Click Open.
- Select the File menu at the top.
- Choose Save as.
- Click on the down arrow to open a drop-down list of available file types.
- Select PDF (or another format).
- Click Save.
- Close Microsoft Word.
Reduce/recover PDF files:
- How to reduce the PDF size on Mac (including Save as PDF in Mac Word)?
- How to recover deleted/unsaved/corrupted PDF files?
After that, you should repeat the same process to save it back to Word Document.
Start Word -> select File -> choose Open -> choose the target PDF file -> hit Open -> select File again -> choose Save as -> hit the down arrow -> select Word Document -> give it a new name -> click Save.
#4. Update Microsoft Word
- Start Word.
- Select File.
- Choose Account in the left pane.
- Look for the Office Updates section in the right pane.
- Click on the down arrow next to Update Options.
- Select Update Now from the drop-down list.
- Wait for the checking and updating process.
- Microsoft will inform you when the update is completed.
Also, some people said they have fixed the Word document won't open problem by updating the Windows system or uninstalling the latest update of Office.
How to update Windows:
- Press Windows+S to open Windows search.
- Type Windows update.
- Select Windows Update settings or Check for updates from the search result.
- Click on the Check for updates button and wait.
How to uninstall the latest Office update:
- Repeat step 1 ~ 3 mentioned above.
- ClickView update history from the right pane.
- Click Uninstall updates.
- Look for the latest Office update and select it.
- Click Uninstall and follow the instructions to finish the rest steps.
- Restart your computer.
#5. Recover Word Document
Another way you should try when your important Word document file is damaged/corrupted or deleted/lost is by using a powerful recovery tool to scan the drive that’s holding it. This method is very helpful especially when your Word keeps crashing.
Step 1: choose a reliable data recovery tool that won’t bring any damage to your system and drive. Let’s take MiniTool Power Data Recovery as an example.
Step 2: download & install the recovery tool to the drive that doesn’t include any Word documents needing to be recovered.
Step 3: run the recovery tool and select This PC from the left pane if the target Word document is located on your computer's hard drive.
Step 4: choose the target drive on the right pane and click on the Scan button at the bottom right. You can also double click on that drive directly to start a full scan.
Step 5: browse the scan results while the scan is in progress or completed. Check all the Word documents you want to recover.
Step 6: click on the Save button in the lower right corner. Then, select a storage path for the Word files and click OK.
Step 7: wait for the recovery process to complete. A window will show up to inform you when the files have been recovered.
#6. Open Word in Safe Mode
Opening Microsoft Office (including Word) in safe mode is an effective way to fix many program-related problems. Here are two ways to start Word in safe mode manually.
How to open Word in safe mode by pressing Ctrl:
- Locate the shortcut for Word on your computer desktop or look for it in the Start menu.
- Press and hold the Ctrl key.
- Start Word by clicking it from the Programs list or double-clicking on the shortcut on the PC desktop.
- Release the Ctrl key when you see a prompt window saying that “Word has detected that you are holding down the CTRL key. Do you want to start Word in safe mode?”.
- Click on the Yes button to start it in safe mode.
Besides, you can use the /safe command in Run to open Word or another Office application in safe mode.
How to start Word in safe mode by using /safe option:
- Open the Run dialog box in the way you like. The most direct way is pressing Windows+R on the keyboard.
- Type winword /safe into the textbox.
- Click on the OK button below or press Enter on the keyboard.
#7. Check WINWORD.EXE in Task Manager
- Open Task Manager by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting Task Manager. You can also press Ctrl+Shift+Esc directly.
- Shift to the Details tab at the top.
- Scroll down to find the WINWORD.EXE process.
- If it’s here, it means your system thinks the program is opened, so it will do nothing about it.
- Please create a new Word document. Then, right-click on it and select Edit.
#8. Delete Microsoft Word Registry Keys
- Press Windows+S.
- Type regedit and hit Enter.
- Copy and paste ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice14.0WordData into the address bar of Registry Editor if you’re running Word 2010.
- Right-click on the Data key in the left pane.
- Select Delete from the menu.
- Restart your PC.
Paths of other Word versions you should use in step 3:
- Word 2002: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0WordData
- Word 2003: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0WordData
- Word 2007: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice12.0WordData
- Word 2013: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice15.0Word
- Word 2016: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice16.0Word
#9. Get More Disk Space
The commonest way to clear disk space is using Disk Cleanup.
- Press Windows+S.
- Type disk cleanup and press Enter.
- Choose a drive you want to clean up and hit click OK.
- Wait for the calculating process to finish.
- Check files you want to delete and click on the OK button at the bottom.
- Click Delete Files in the prompt window to confirm.
#10. Repair Microsoft Office Installation
- Press Windows+S.
- Type apps & features and hit Enter.
- Scroll down to click Programs and Features under Related settings.
- Browse the programs list and select Microsoft Office.
- Select Change from the menu at the top.
- Choose Repair in the pop-up window.
- Follow the on-screen introductions to finish the rest steps.
#11. Rename Normal.dotm
If the Word global template – Normal.dotm – went wrong, all the Word files will be started in safe mode. In this case, you should rename Normal.dotm and then try to start Microsoft Word again. A new Normal.dotm file will be created automatically.
- Open File Explorer.
- Copy & past C:Users*AppDataRoamingMicrosoftTemplates into the address bar (* represents your username).
- Right-click on the Normal.dotm file and select Rename.
- Change the name to Normal.old and press Enter.
- Make sure the AppData folder is visible before step 2: select View -> click Options -> shift to View tab -> check Show hidden files, folders, and drives -> click OK.
- Make sure the file extension is visible before step 3: View -> click Options -> shift to View tab -> uncheck Hide extensions for known file types -> click OK.
You should also try the following methods when Microsoft Office won't open Windows 10:
Fix 12: make sure your Microsoft Office is activated.
Fix 13: reconfigure the video settings or your PC.
Fix 14: change the default printer or update the printer driver.
Fix 15: open Word documents using another program.
How to Fix Microsoft Word Won't Open Mac (4 Ways)
Microsoft Office also provides a version for Mac users to download. In this part, we’ll provide 4 useful solutions to help when users find Word not opening on Mac.
Solutions to Microsoft Word Won't Open on Mac
Some people said they were trying to open a word document on the Mac computer but failed. There are many possible reasons why the Word won’t open. Whatever the cause, people are more concerned about how to fix the problem when Microsoft Word won't open on Mac.
- Use “Repair”.
- Remove Word Preferences.
- Run “First Aid”.
- Recover Word files on Mac.
#1. Use the Repair Feature
- Start Microsoft Word on your Mac.
- Select File from the top menu bar.
- Choose Open.
- Browse the folders and files to select the Word document that won’t start.
- Click on the down arrow next to Open.
- Choose Repair from the drop-down list.
- Click on the OK button and the Word program will repair it for you.
#2. Remove Word Preferences
- Open Go to Folder.
- Type ~/Library and click on the Go button below.
- Look for the Preferences folder and open it.
- Look for a file named com.microsoft.Word.plist.
- Move this file to your desktop and open Microsoft Word again.
If this doesn’t work, please follow this:
- Move the file back to its original place.
- Close all Microsoft Office programs running on your Mac.
- Select Word from the menu bar.
- Choose Preferences from the drop-down list.
- Select File Locations.
- Select User templates.
- Look for the Normal.dotm file.
- Move it to the desktop.
- Open Word again.
#3. Run First Aid
- Open the Utilities folder on your Mac (the most direct way is pressing Shift+Command+U).
- Open Disk Utility and select the hard disk of your Mac in the left pane.
- Click on the First Aid button at the top of the right pane.
- Click Run and wait for the process to finish.
- Click Done and go to check whether Microsoft Word won't open is fixed or not.
#4. Recover Deleted/Lost Word on Mac
You need to find a data recovery tool that supports macOS to recover lost or deleted Word files.
- Get Stellar Data Recovery for Mac, jointly designed by MiniTool and Stellar for Mac file recovery.
- Launch the software and Select What To Recover.
- Click Next.
- Choose the location that contains lost Word files.
- Click on the Scan button and wait.
- Select the Word documents you want to recover and click Recover.
- Choose a safe storage destination and click Save.
- Wait for the recovery to complete automatically.
Microsoft Word won't open is a common problem that bothers lots of Windows users and Mac users. Please don’t get panic when you find Word not opening. On the contrary, you should stay calm and carefully follow the solutions provided above to fix the problem on both Windows and Mac computers.