New Channel: How to Use Apple Mac Office's Microsoft Word on a Mac. This small tutorial shows you how to us. The trusted app for Word documents. Microsoft Word, one of the most popular programs to create, view, edit, share, and manage Word documents, is available for your Mac device. With a simple and clean interface, the program lets you manage everything easily and quickly. Whether you’re a student, journalist, blogger, columnist, writer,. For help with Word: On the Menu bar, click Help and search for features, commands, and help articles. Or search online at Bing, Google, or support.office.com. Here's a sample of what's available: Add a border to a page. Add a “Draft” watermark to your document. MS word document on Mac is locked. How do I unlock a word document on MAC that states: “ This document has certain edit capabilites that have been locked” How do I get this document unlocked?! This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
Microsoft Office is used widely during daily work, but problems may occur while you're using it. Microsoft Office won’t open (Word won't open, Excel won't open, PowerPoint won't open) is a common issue that many users have ever met. MiniTool summarizes some useful solutions for you to fix
Quick Navigation :
My Microsoft Word Won't Open
Have ever met the Microsoft Word won’t open problem? It has been proved to occur on many people’s computers (running Windows operating systems or macOS). If you search online, you’ll find many users said that their Microsoft Word will not open by double-clicking or any other ways they use usually to try to open a Word document.
How to fix it when your Microsoft Word stopped working suddenly?
There are many users saying they have encountered the Microsoft Word has stopped working error and they want to know the methods for fixing it.
Common Error Messages for Microsoft Word Not Opening
Why won't Microsoft Word open? To be honest, there are a lot of reasons for causing it. Therefore, users will receive different error messages when they find Word not opening.
Error message 1:
Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
* Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.
* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.
Error message 2:
Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt.
Try one or more of the following:
* Open and Repair the file.
* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.
Error message 3:
Sorry, something went wrong and Word was unable to start. (6)
The error code at the end may change.
Error message 4:
We’re sorry. We can’t open Normal.dotm because we found a problem with its contents.
Error message 5:
Word cannot open the existing file. (Normal.dotm)
Error message 6:
There is not enough memory or disk space to run Word.
Error message 7:
Word couldn’t start last time. Safe mode could help you troubleshoot the problem, but some features might not be available in this mode.
Do you want to start in safe mode?
Sometimes, you may even receive this message asking you to start Word in safe mode to troubleshoot the problem. On this occasion, you’d better click on the Yes button to let it open your Word in safe mode and then repair errors for you automatically.
Error message 8:
Something went wrong
We couldn’t start your program. Please try starting it again.
If it won’t start, try repairing Office from ‘Programs and Features’ in the Control Panel.
Error message 9:
Word Document Won’t Open in the Program You Expect
Also, you may see many other error messages when you can't open Microsoft Word.
How to Fix Microsoft Word Won't Open Windows 10 (15 Ways)
In this part, we’ll provide some solutions to help when you can't open Word document Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7. They are also useful for Microsoft Office won't open (Excel won't open and PowerPoint won't open).
- Fix 1 ~ 5 are available if you can still start the Microsoft Word program when certain Word documents can’t be opened.
- Fix 6 ~ 11 are useful when you can’t even open Word or Microsoft Office.
- You should also give a shot to fix 12 ~ 15 when the above methods failed.
#1. Disable Word Add-Ins
Disable suspect Add-ins:
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Click File from the menu bar.
- Choose Options from its submenu.
- Select Add-ins from the left pane of the Power Options window.
- Disable all the suspect add-ins.
- Click OK to confirm.
Also, you can follow this tutorial to disable all Add-ins:
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Click File.
- Choose Options.
- Select Trust Center from the left pane.
- Click on the Trust Center Settings button in the right pane.
- Shift to Add-ins in the left pane of the Trust Center window.
- Check Disable all Application Add-ins (may impair functionality).
- Click OK.
#2. Open and Repair in Word
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Select File from the menu bar.
- Choose Open from the submenu.
- Browse your drives and folders to select the target Word document that can’t open.
- Click on the down arrow next to the Open button in the pop-up Open window.
- Select Open and Repair from the drop-down list.
#3. Save the Document as Another Format
- Start the Word program.
- Select File from the menu bar.
- Choose Open.
- Browse your device to select the Word file that can’t start.
- Click Open.
- Select the File menu at the top.
- Choose Save as.
- Click on the down arrow to open a drop-down list of available file types.
- Select PDF (or another format).
- Click Save.
- Close Microsoft Word.
Reduce/recover PDF files:
- How to reduce the PDF size on Mac (including Save as PDF in Mac Word)?
- How to recover deleted/unsaved/corrupted PDF files?
After that, you should repeat the same process to save it back to Word Document.
Start Word -> select File -> choose Open -> choose the target PDF file -> hit Open -> select File again -> choose Save as -> hit the down arrow -> select Word Document -> give it a new name -> click Save.
#4. Update Microsoft Word
- Start Word.
- Select File.
- Choose Account in the left pane.
- Look for the Office Updates section in the right pane.
- Click on the down arrow next to Update Options.
- Select Update Now from the drop-down list.
- Wait for the checking and updating process.
- Microsoft will inform you when the update is completed.
Also, some people said they have fixed the Word document won't open problem by updating the Windows system or uninstalling the latest update of Office.
How to update Windows:
- Press Windows+S to open Windows search.
- Type Windows update.
- Select Windows Update settings or Check for updates from the search result.
- Click on the Check for updates button and wait.
How to uninstall the latest Office update:
- Repeat step 1 ~ 3 mentioned above.
- ClickView update history from the right pane.
- Click Uninstall updates.
- Look for the latest Office update and select it.
- Click Uninstall and follow the instructions to finish the rest steps.
- Restart your computer.
#5. Recover Word Document
Another way you should try when your important Word document file is damaged/corrupted or deleted/lost is by using a powerful recovery tool to scan the drive that’s holding it. This method is very helpful especially when your Word keeps crashing.
Step 1: choose a reliable data recovery tool that won’t bring any damage to your system and drive. Let’s take MiniTool Power Data Recovery as an example.
Step 2: download & install the recovery tool to the drive that doesn’t include any Word documents needing to be recovered.
Step 3: run the recovery tool and select This PC from the left pane if the target Word document is located on your computer's hard drive.
Step 4: choose the target drive on the right pane and click on the Scan button at the bottom right. You can also double click on that drive directly to start a full scan.
Step 5: browse the scan results while the scan is in progress or completed. Check all the Word documents you want to recover.
Step 6: click on the Save button in the lower right corner. Then, select a storage path for the Word files and click OK.
Step 7: wait for the recovery process to complete. A window will show up to inform you when the files have been recovered.
#6. Open Word in Safe Mode
Opening Microsoft Office (including Word) in safe mode is an effective way to fix many program-related problems. Here are two ways to start Word in safe mode manually.
How to open Word in safe mode by pressing Ctrl:
- Locate the shortcut for Word on your computer desktop or look for it in the Start menu.
- Press and hold the Ctrl key.
- Start Word by clicking it from the Programs list or double-clicking on the shortcut on the PC desktop.
- Release the Ctrl key when you see a prompt window saying that “Word has detected that you are holding down the CTRL key. Do you want to start Word in safe mode?”.
- Click on the Yes button to start it in safe mode.
Besides, you can use the /safe command in Run to open Word or another Office application in safe mode.
How to start Word in safe mode by using /safe option:
- Open the Run dialog box in the way you like. The most direct way is pressing Windows+R on the keyboard.
- Type winword /safe into the textbox.
- Click on the OK button below or press Enter on the keyboard.
#7. Check WINWORD.EXE in Task Manager
- Open Task Manager by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting Task Manager. You can also press Ctrl+Shift+Esc directly.
- Shift to the Details tab at the top.
- Scroll down to find the WINWORD.EXE process.
- If it’s here, it means your system thinks the program is opened, so it will do nothing about it.
- Please create a new Word document. Then, right-click on it and select Edit.
#8. Delete Microsoft Word Registry Keys
- Press Windows+S.
- Type regedit and hit Enter.
- Copy and paste ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice14.0WordData into the address bar of Registry Editor if you’re running Word 2010.
- Right-click on the Data key in the left pane.
- Select Delete from the menu.
- Restart your PC.
Paths of other Word versions you should use in step 3:
- Word 2002: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0WordData
- Word 2003: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0WordData
- Word 2007: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice12.0WordData
- Word 2013: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice15.0Word
- Word 2016: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice16.0Word
#9. Get More Disk Space
The commonest way to clear disk space is using Disk Cleanup.
- Press Windows+S.
- Type disk cleanup and press Enter.
- Choose a drive you want to clean up and hit click OK.
- Wait for the calculating process to finish.
- Check files you want to delete and click on the OK button at the bottom.
- Click Delete Files in the prompt window to confirm.
#10. Repair Microsoft Office Installation
- Press Windows+S.
- Type apps & features and hit Enter.
- Scroll down to click Programs and Features under Related settings.
- Browse the programs list and select Microsoft Office.
- Select Change from the menu at the top.
- Choose Repair in the pop-up window.
- Follow the on-screen introductions to finish the rest steps.
#11. Rename Normal.dotm
If the Word global template – Normal.dotm – went wrong, all the Word files will be started in safe mode. In this case, you should rename Normal.dotm and then try to start Microsoft Word again. A new Normal.dotm file will be created automatically.
- Open File Explorer.
- Copy & past C:Users*AppDataRoamingMicrosoftTemplates into the address bar (* represents your username).
- Right-click on the Normal.dotm file and select Rename.
- Change the name to Normal.old and press Enter.
- Make sure the AppData folder is visible before step 2: select View -> click Options -> shift to View tab -> check Show hidden files, folders, and drives -> click OK.
- Make sure the file extension is visible before step 3: View -> click Options -> shift to View tab -> uncheck Hide extensions for known file types -> click OK.
You should also try the following methods when Microsoft Office won't open Windows 10:
Fix 12: make sure your Microsoft Office is activated.
Fix 13: reconfigure the video settings or your PC.
Fix 14: change the default printer or update the printer driver.
Fix 15: open Word documents using another program.
How to Fix Microsoft Word Won't Open Mac (4 Ways)
Microsoft Office also provides a version for Mac users to download. In this part, we’ll provide 4 useful solutions to help when users find Word not opening on Mac.
Solutions to Microsoft Word Won't Open on Mac
Some people said they were trying to open a word document on the Mac computer but failed. There are many possible reasons why the Word won’t open. Whatever the cause, people are more concerned about how to fix the problem when Microsoft Word won't open on Mac.
- Use “Repair”.
- Remove Word Preferences.
- Run “First Aid”.
- Recover Word files on Mac.
#1. Use the Repair Feature
- Start Microsoft Word on your Mac.
- Select File from the top menu bar.
- Choose Open.
- Browse the folders and files to select the Word document that won’t start.
- Click on the down arrow next to Open.
- Choose Repair from the drop-down list.
- Click on the OK button and the Word program will repair it for you.
#2. Remove Word Preferences
- Open Go to Folder.
- Type ~/Library and click on the Go button below.
- Look for the Preferences folder and open it.
- Look for a file named com.microsoft.Word.plist.
- Move this file to your desktop and open Microsoft Word again.
If this doesn’t work, please follow this:
- Move the file back to its original place.
- Close all Microsoft Office programs running on your Mac.
- Select Word from the menu bar.
- Choose Preferences from the drop-down list.
- Select File Locations.
- Select User templates.
- Look for the Normal.dotm file.
- Move it to the desktop.
- Open Word again.
#3. Run First Aid
- Open the Utilities folder on your Mac (the most direct way is pressing Shift+Command+U).
- Open Disk Utility and select the hard disk of your Mac in the left pane.
- Click on the First Aid button at the top of the right pane.
- Click Run and wait for the process to finish.
- Click Done and go to check whether Microsoft Word won't open is fixed or not.
#4. Recover Deleted/Lost Word on Mac
You need to find a data recovery tool that supports macOS to recover lost or deleted Word files.
How To Use Word On Mac Computer
- Get Stellar Data Recovery for Mac, jointly designed by MiniTool and Stellar for Mac file recovery.
- Launch the software and Select What To Recover.
- Click Next.
- Choose the location that contains lost Word files.
- Click on the Scan button and wait.
- Select the Word documents you want to recover and click Recover.
- Choose a safe storage destination and click Save.
- Wait for the recovery to complete automatically.
Microsoft Word won't open is a common problem that bothers lots of Windows users and Mac users. Please don’t get panic when you find Word not opening. On the contrary, you should stay calm and carefully follow the solutions provided above to fix the problem on both Windows and Mac computers.
Get the best writing tool
Since the 1980s, Microsoft Word has been dominating all the writing software worldwide. If you get a résumé, document, report, or memo today, chances are it would be in either .doc or .docx format. It’s the de facto internationally accepted way of corporate communication.
Not surprisingly, Microsoft Word is not free. As part of the Office 365 suite, Microsoft Word would cost households $6.99 a month ($9.99 for a whole family) or $12.50 a month per business user. You can also just buy a standalone version of Microsoft Word outright for $139.99. But if you just need to edit an occasional document or use the basic formatting features, you’d rather not spend anything.
Is there a free version of Microsoft Word for Mac? Is there a free version of Office for Mac? Let’s answer these and more questions relating to how you can get Microsoft Word for Mac free and also suggest some better alternatives altogether.
Alternative to MS Word on Mac
Collabio Spaces is the best app to replace Microsoft Word with. Write and co-edit your documents offline.
Can I Download Microsoft Word For Free On Mac?
When someone sends you a .docx file and you don’t have Microsoft Word for Mac installed, what do you do? You can, of course, open the file with Quick Look or Preview, but the styling might be off and you wouldn’t be able to edit it.
If you decide to look up something like “Microsoft Word free download” online, you’ll stumble upon dozens of YouTube tutorials and written guides on how you can get free Microsoft Word by downloading a trial version and using a code-cracking app on it to get the license key for it. Not only this is illegal, you also risk downloading all kinds of malware to your Mac.
Luckily, there are a few other ways you can get Microsoft Word free.
Use MS Word online
Is Microsoft Word for Mac free? No. Is Microsoft Word online, free? Yes! It’s not well-known, but you can use Word on the web at no cost. All you need is a free Microsoft account. The catch is that the MS Word online version is not as advanced as its desktop counterpart, but it’s still good enough for all the basic work with documents and for writing something on your own.
Here’s how to get Microsoft Word online for free:
Visit the MS Word online page
Click “Sign up for free”
Create your account
Choose to start a new document or drag and drop an existing one right onto the web app
Get a free Microsoft Office 365 trial
In case you have a complex project coming up that requires more of the features not available in MS Word online, you can access everything that the regular Microsoft Word has to offer by subscribing for a free Microsoft Word trial via Microsoft Office 365. You get one month to finish your project and you can use all the apps in MS Office 365, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, etc.
Here’s how to sign up for the Microsoft Word free trial:
Visit the Microsoft 365 page
Click “Try 1 month free”
Sign in with your free Microsoft account or register a new one
Get your Microsoft Word free download
Try free alternatives to Microsoft Word
If you need to use Microsoft Word for an extended period of time, and a one-month trial won’t cut it, you can try to actually substitute for another similar free app that’s fully compatible with Microsoft Word.
10+ writing tools in one app
Enhance your writing skills with Setapp, a productivity service that gives you access to many writing and editing apps.
Google Docs, as part of G Suite, has improved greatly over the years and now supports custom styles, tables, in-line images, and more. Although it’s an online app, it feels native and can both edit and export .docx while keeping all the formatting intact.
LibreOffice (also known as OpenOffice) is another suite of text-editing apps available for free to anyone. Its Microsoft Word alternative is called LibreOffice Writer, which has many desktop publishing compatibilities of its paid competitor and is also completely compatible with it.
Use Microsoft Word with iPad
A surprisingly lesser known trick to get a full working version of Microsoft Word free is to load it on your iPad. Yes, the iPad version of Microsoft Word doesn’t cost anything and, with the release of iPads that feature Bluetooth keyboard support, it’s just as capable as its macOS counterpart.
Embrace third-party Mac apps
While Microsoft Word dominance is still apparent, it’s hardly the best app for all the word-processing jobs we need to do today. With the release of Mac App Store, we’ve seen a great proliferation of niche text editors, journals, desktop publishers, and more — every one of which is best at solving a specific problem.
Let’s look at a few of the best apps for working with words out there today.
Collabio Spaces is a text editor with unique ad-hoc collaboration features. This app goes beyond creating and formatting text (although you can do it too, obviously). Collabio turns your device into a server and transmits your document to other people. All you have to do is share a password with them and start co-editing in real time, without uploading your document to a cloud.
Ulysses is one of the most popular writing apps of recent years. From small notes to manuscripts, its distraction-free environment just lets you get things done. The app has a built-in support for Markdown as well as grammar and style checkers. When you’re done, simply export your results as a PDF or publish to WordPress or Medium directly.
Download Word For Mac
Focused is another app for writing purists that does everything to get you concentrated on the words that flow from your keyboard. The app supports beautiful typography, various themes suitable for different times of day as well as ambient soundtracks to make it so you fully immerse in your environment.
MarsEdit allows you to transport your complete blogging setup offline. You can edit HTML, rich text, or plain text to write and design blog posts with images, infographics, and videos with zero internet connection. Then upload your new blog post on schedule to the blog when you’re back online. As MarsEdit saves everything as you go on your Mac, you’ll never lose any data because of WiFi troubles.
Manuscripts empowers you to take on even the most complex writing projects possible: research papers, textbooks, novels, screenplays, etc. The app supports a variety of formats, multi-level outlines, templates, tables, graphs, LaTex, document versioning, and citation editing. Instead of trying to adjust Microsoft Word to your needs, let Manuscripts adjust to you.
Diarly enables you to think freely. The app encourages your daily journaling practice and makes the writing habit easy and beautiful. You can organize your notes, add lists, calendar events, sync across devices, and more. Diarly also takes your security seriously, encrypting all the entries on the fly.
Word Document On Mac Computer
So is Microsoft Word for Mac free? Not exactly. But you can get a lot of the same features from MS Word online, sign up for the Microsoft Word free trial, take a look at Google Docs or LibreOffice Writer, and use Microsoft Word free on iPad. Even better, give a wealth of more specialized apps a try. Sketch notes in Ulysses, concentrate on your writing in Focused, finish your blog post in MarsEdit, create your life’s work in Manuscripts, and keep a journal with Diarly.
Best of all, Collabio Spaces, Ulysses, Focused, MarsEdit, Manuscripts, and Diarly are available to you absolutely free with a seven-day trial of Setapp, a platform with 200+ outstanding apps for your Mac. Try every single one today and discover the latest and greatest feats of Mac engineering at no cost.